GENE HUGHES DDS
Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
General Anesthesia - This form of anesthesia is administered intravenously and accomplishes a state of unconsciousness. It is reserved for healthy patients in an office setting. Local Anesthesia is used in conjunction with General Anesthesia to allow the patient to wake up free of pain.
All patients receiving any type of Sedation or General Anesthesia are monitored with the latest forms of electronic devices. Blood pressure, EKG (heart), respiration, and blood oxygen levels are constantly monitored for patient safety. The doctor and two trained surgical assistants are in the surgical suite the entire time the surgery is in progress. Post-operative/post anesthetic instructions will be given prior to discharge.
PRE-OPERATIVE INSTRUCTIONS FOR PATIENTS HAVING OFFICE SURGERY
1. Your mouth and teeth should be well cleaned immediately before your appointment.
2. It is essential that you bring a responsible adult with you who can drive you home. We ask that this person be present in the office prior to surgery, and remain until the patient is dismissed from the office.
3. If the surgery is in the morning, you should have nothing by mouth after midnight the night before surgery. If the surgery is to be in the afternoon, you may have liquids for breakfast and then nothing by mouth until after the surgery. YOU SHOULD NOT HAVE ANYTHING TO EAT OR DRINK FOR AT LEAST SIX HOURS PRIOR TO SURGERY. If the doctor has given you medication to take one or two hours before surgery, it should be taken with only a sip of water.
4. If the patient is a child or legally a minor, it is essential for at least one parent or legal guardian to be with the patient.
5. You should wear loose fitting clothing, preferably with short sleeves. Do not wear a tight collar or necktie. No jewelry should be worn during surgery.
6. The profound effects of the sedation will wear off 30 to 45 minutes following surgery. However, because of the residual effects of the medication, you should plan to remain at home for the remainder of the day.